Saturday 21 August 2010

Swimming, walking, painting.

Across the lake - Montcuq and the tower in the distance.

Walking on the plateau


The Lake, Montcuq.


They say that to get to know a place you need to walk it. I have had a home here for 13 years but it isn't until this summer that I have walked the countryside around Montcuq. I have seen it from all angles with the tower an unmistakeable landmark in the distance. The climb out of the valley is steep and the paths rough with stones. It's usual to come across stone houses hidden by dense foliage but one day, at the top of one winding path, we came across a chateau so grand but with an air of decay which only added to it's allure. Two cups and saucers on a small round table in the courtyard, a silk dressing-gown tossed over one chair - it was easy to conjour up visions of the long, languid days spent here. Suddenly, a young pretty woman calls from the balcony reminding us that we are now on private property so we leave. I am facinated by this place and the people who live here. Later I discover that an old french family the de Roaldes live in what is called the Chateau de Figeac.

When it's too hot to walk I go with a friend for an early morning swim in the lake. Too early for the families who crowd the beach during the day - we have the lake to ourselves. It's a great start to the day. Then I paint; my head full of images but still dominated by the tower which is always present and which continues to appear on my canvases in one form or another!

No comments:

Post a Comment