Friday 13 August 2010

France


On the rare occasions I wake at 4am it's always worth it for the smell of fresh bread from the two bakeries in the village. Daylight starts with a fine mist which hangs over the valley. By the time the village stirs the sky is cloudless and very blue.
The fields of sunflowers which dominated the landscape when I arrived have now lost their colour. The vast areas of bright yellow have become muted shades of green as the plants dry ready for harvesting. I'm using a lot of yellow and blue in my first painting here - hardly surprising! I've been working on it for weeks and I don't think I'm any closer to finishing. It happens always with the first painting as I try to set aside images of South Wales and work hard to capture the spirit of this landscape and what it means to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment