Monday 11 May 2015

Shirking work

When I'm not painting I am thinking about painting. I have discovered iPlayer archives where I can watch John Hoyland working and talking about his work in 1978 and Paule Vezelay being filmed in 1984. It's totally absorbing but lurking in the back of my mind is the notion that I am doing this to escape the studio and the painting which sits unfinished on the easel. I am dodging work because it's hard going. I wouldn't presume to set myself alongside Hoyland but I am reassured to hear him express feelings which resonate with me. He describes it as a "nerve wracking business". "It's just you on your own in a room ... just making a painting seems such a ridiculous activity in a way ...      ... you don't know if you can do it...."


http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p025lrcy/arena-six-days-in-september#group=p025z4rn
  

No comments:

Post a Comment