Sunday 25 March 2012

St Mary's Church Panteg



St Mary's Church Panteg.
From time to time I make the trip home, to the place where I was born. It's a journey of around 55 miles or so and in the past I travelled the route on a weekly basis but I have no family living here now. I go to visit the church to take flowers for my parents. This small church has been here since Norman times although a lot of the building was repaired by the Victorians. It nestles in a small hollow at the end of a narrow country lane surrounded by farmland. Panteg or Panteague as it's shown on old maps means "fair hollow" and it's an apt description. I was christened, confirmed and married here and it's an emotional journey each time I visit. This morning the sun was shining and the songs of the birds competed with the sound of singing coming from the morning service in the church. I could imagine my parents walking together across the fields to go to such a service. Nothing has changed here and that in itself is very comforting.

No comments:

Post a Comment