Saturday 4 February 2012

Red studio, red dining room.







The red studio is not that far removed from my red dining room. I'm taking a fresh look.
The Cézanne and Boncompain Ceramiques posters I have had with me a long time. The Cézanne exhibition in the Tate in 1996 created a lot of excitement at the time. The Boncompain poster was cellotaped to the door of a small bar in Antibes where I was having a last drink before the flight home. I was very disappointed to have missed the exhibition and as I left the barman removed the poster from the door and gave it to me.
The black and white poster I bought at an exhibition in Biot in the South of France. The photographer was there and signed it for me. This man had been friends with many of the post-war Paris painters who had inspired my work and I was in awe of him.
The Dubuffet poster from the Guggenheim which Alan brought back from his sabbatical in New York in 1973 hangs on the wall above the stairs.
Finally, the Giacometti which Stephen bought me when he was barely a teenager and is now due a new frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment